This article will show you 6 popular options to travel from KL Sentral to Batu Caves. The Batu Caves is one of the top destinations in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, especially for tourists. It is a limestone hill with a series of caves and cave temples which is located in Gombak, Selangor, Malaysia. It takes its name from the Sungai Batu, which flows past the hill.
How to get to Batu Caves from KL Sentral?
Here are the most popular options to get from KL Sentral to Batu Caves:
1. Pickup By Klook Tour at Aloft KL Sentral (Recommended)
You should probably try the Klook Batu Caves Tour which cost about RM43 for a Complete Trip to Batu Caves + 2 more local cultural destinations. The closest pickup point to KL Sentral is at Aloft KL Sentral Hotel. The itinerary is as below:
- 9:00am/2:00pm pickup at hotel
- Visit Royal Selangor Pewter factory (approx. 30min)
- Visit Batik Factory showroom (approx. 30min)
- Visit Batu Caves (approx. 40 min)
- Drive past local villages (approx. 10 min)
- 12:30pm/5:30pm drop off at hotel
You might want to read more about the recommended BATU CAVES TOUR from Kuala Lumpur.
2. Direct KTM Komuter Train (Most Convenient)
Taking a direct KTM Komuter train to Batu Caves is the most convenient way to reach Batu Caves from KL Sentral. You can purchase a KTM Komuter train ticket from KL Sentral KTM Station to Batu Caves KTM Station. The total journey is about 40 minutes and the one-way ticket will only cost you RM2.60.
The first train from KL Sentral to Batu Caves is 6:56 AM and the last train from KL Sentral to Batu Caves is 10:46 PM. The train frequency is around 30 minutes to 1 hour. Here is a complete timetable/schedule for KTM Komuter Train from KL Sentral to Batu Caves:
KTM Komuter Train Schedule from KL Sentral to Batu Caves
- Read the article below for a detailed journey (step-by-step) from KL Sentral to Batu Caves by KTM Komuter train.
3. Free Shuttle Bus to Sentul then KTM Komuter Train (Cheapest)
Here is the cheapest method to get to Batu Caves, and if you have time, I would recommend this. You should take a 30 minutes bus ride from KL Sentral Station to Sentul Station (FREE). Then, continue your journey by taking the KTM Komuter train from Sentul to Batu Caves (RM2.30 one-way ticket). The total journey is about an hour and the train fare to Batu Caves is only RM2.30.
- Read the article for a detailed journey (step-by-step) from KL Sentral to Batu Caves by bus & KTM Komuter train.
4. LRT Kelana Jaya Line, LRT Ampang Line & KTM Komuter (Not the best)
You can first take the LRT Kelana Jaya Line from KL Sentral Station to Masjid Jamek Station (RM1.60 one-way ticket). Then, continue to take the LRT Ampang/Sri Petaling Line from Masjid Jamek Station to Sentul Station (RM1.90 one-way ticket). Upon reaching Sentul Station, continue your journey by taking the KTM Komuter train from Sentul to Batu Caves (RM2.30 one-way ticket). You will spend around an hour for the journey including train interchange time and will cost you a total of RM5.80 to reach Batu Caves from KL Sentral.
5. Take/hire a taxi to Batu Caves (Quickest and easiest, but costly)
Hire a taxi from KL Sentral Station to Batu Caves. The KL Sentral to Batu Caves taxi fare is around RM23 – RM28 for a one-way taxi ride. The total journey is around 15 – 20 minutes.
6. Rent a car and drive to Batu Caves (If you are a fan of driving)
Rent a car and drive to Batu Caves from KL Sentral by yourself. The fuel cost is around RM2 – RM5 and will take you around 15 – 20 minutes to reach Batu Caves on a normal day.
Why is the Batu Caves so popular?
- First of all, it is FREE. There is no entrance fee required to visit the famous Batu Caves in Malaysia.
- You can enjoy the great scenery of the Malaysia limestone hills and experience the Hindu culture in Malaysia all-in-one-go.
- The great news is that you can even catch a train right to the doorstep of Batu Caves. The KTM Komuter train departs from Sentul Sentral every 20-30 minutes and costs you RM2.30 only.
- You can also get a FREE shuttle bus ride from KL Sentral (the main transportation hub in Kuala Lumpur) to Sentul Sentral before riding the train to Batu Caves.
Facts you need to know about Batu Caves[ultimate-faqs include_category=batu-caves-faq]
KL Sentral to Batu Caves by KTM Komuter Train
1. Get to KL Sentral Railway Station
2. Buy a ticket to ‘Batu Caves Station’ from the KTM Komuter Line
Look for the KTM Komuter line train station ticket counter at KL Sentral Station. The KTM fare of a one-way ticket to Batu Caves from KL Sentral Station is RM2.60 by cash or RM2.30 by Touch n Go (RM5.20 or RM4.60 for a return ticket respectively).
KTM Komuter Timetable: KL Sentral – Batu Caves (Effective 28 October 2018)
- Train Frequency: View the timetable attached below
- Journey Duration from KL Sentral Station to Batu Caves Station: 40 minutes
- Train Frequency: 30 minutes to 1 hour
- First Train Departure from KL Sentral Station: 6:56 am
- First Train Arrival at Batu Caves: 7:36 am
- Last Train Departure from Sentul Station: 10:46 pm
- Last Train Arrival at Batu Caves: 11:29 pm
- KTM Komuter Train from Sentul Station to Batu Caves Schedule
Visit KTMB official website for the latest schedule.
3. Look for the Sign ‘Batu Caves’ on the Platform
Catch the train heading to the Batu Caves direction (there will be only one direction since the other direction is still on upgrading works).
There is a signboard announcing the arrival of the next train.
Be aware that they do have ladies-only-carriages if you were a man.
4. Batu Caves Station is the 8th Station from KL Sentral Station
Inside the carriages, you will find a LED light board with all stations, showing you your “current” station location. Look for the KTM Station named “Batu Caves”.
5. Exit Batu Caves Station & find the Lord Murugan Statue
Once you arrive at Batu Caves Station, exit the station and find the Lord of Murugan Statue. Just let the 42.7metre (140ft) high statue of Lord Murugan to guide you there.
It took 3 years to construct and it is the tallest Lord Murugan statue in the world.
Looking for Buses from KL Sentral to Batu Caves?
Q: Is there any bus travel directly from KL Sentral to Batu Caves?
A: At the moment, there is no direct bus service from KL Sentral to Batu Caves. However, you can take a free shuttle bus ride from KL Sentral to Sentul Station and continue your journey to Batu Caves via the KTM Komuter train.
Q: Where is the KL Sentral Bus Station?
A: The KL Sentral Bus Station / Bus terminal is located at the Basement of KL Sentral. You might be interested to read How to get to KL Sentral Bus Station.